[DPRG] A Modest Proposal

Subject: [DPRG] A Modest Proposal
From: David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Date: Wed Mar 5 16:03:39 CST 2014

Greetings Fellow Roboteers,

Runnning my best attempt at the DPRG CanCan Soccer contest with SR04
over the weekend, and conferring with some of the other teams' members,
it looks like the problems associated with 1) sensing and locating the
cans, 2) capturing them in some way, 3) locating the goal, 4) delivering
the cans thereto, and 5) doing all of this repeatedly, are the major
areas of R&D that everyone (myself included) are currently trying to solve.

Adding the complication of sensing and avoiding the other robot, not to
mention the problems involved in sensing and avoiding the judge, (who
will at times also be in the competition space to "immediately remove"
any secondary cans the robot might have collided with) seems beyond what
most teams are currently working on.  Doug has tried to address this
problem with a fairly complex set of rules regarding "collisions" and
who can call "reset" and under what conditions. All of this is, at this
time, untested.

Understanding that the DPRG CanCan Soccer rules for 2014a are pretty
much cast in concrete, I nonetheless have a modest proposal: Run the
robots one at a time.

All the other rules remain the same.  The Robot with the most cans at
the end of its 10 minute run is the winner, and ties will be decided by
the fastest times.

When we have a group of robots that can successfully do the 5 tasks
listed above (probably not what will happen at 2014a), then we can have
them go head-to-head.  This modest proposal allows the teams to
concentrate this time around on the main goals (no pun) of the contest
itself, and show the performance of their solutions in the best possible
light.

Having the robots go head-to-head involves a whole new group of
problems, which are probably best solved once you have a robot that is
already able to solve the 5 basic tasks.   Further, head-to-head
competition inevitably invites counter-measures.  I can think of half a
dozen off the top of my head, all that lay within the letter and spirit
of the rules.   Seems like that sort of thing should be reserved for a
more advanced contest.

As an aside, I found this weekend that "immediately removing" any
secondary cans and returning them "to their original locations"
invariably interferes with both the offending robot and the
non-offending robot, because of the presence of a large object, the
judge, within the contest boundary.  Has anybody else actually tried
this?  This rule may need to be revisited for the next contest in 2014b.

modestly,
dpa