[DPRG] A Modest Proposal

Subject: [DPRG] A Modest Proposal
From: paradug paradug at gmail.com
Date: Wed Mar 5 22:48:25 CST 2014

David,
    I think Karim has it right.
Regards,
Doug P.

-----Original Message-----
From: Karim Virani
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 7:04 PM
To: dprglist ; davida at smu.edu
Subject: Re: [DPRG] A Modest Proposal

How dare you, sir.  Not only is your modest proposal actually modest, but it
also fails to be both unreasonable and irrational.  Further it viciously
impugns our beliefs that we each shall surmount all the various minor
capabilities required of our mechanical contraptions. Our personal delusions
lie at the core of our humanity and thus are sacrosanct. One wonders whether
you were compelled to offer this proposal on behalf of your cold and
calculating creations.

OK, so let's assume that I agree with just about everything you said.
Further, I recognize that you are pretty much the only member who has
consistently demonstrated a robot that is able to avoid moving obstacles and
still proceed toward a particular goal.  I remember you trying to obstruct
SR04 and forcing it to move around you to deliver a can back at one of the
last classic can can competitions at the old science plan - probably a
decade ago. So you are really just lowering the bar for the rest of us in
your inimitably warm and gracious manor.

Yet I still find myself disagreeing with your recommendation.  If the goal
of the contest is to fairly judge the true capabilities of each of our
evolving entries, then the proposal makes perfect sense.  If instead, the
goal is to get maximum entertainment and public buy-in at a premier venue
like the Perot, then a head to head contest would be better - even if the
robots just wander about bashing into each other, the walls and running over
cans.  The latter is the actual premise that the contest was designed around
if I recall correctly.  Of course that presumes that 1. we are actually
confirmed for the Perot (Doug?) and that 2. we still wish to pursue the
original premise. The fine points of the various capabilities of our robots
is something that will be understood by only the few of us involved in
building them.  I'd happily sacrifice some fairness and predictability in
order to draw in some fresh interest.

Best Regards,

Karim