[DPRG] TOF laser range finder

Subject: [DPRG] TOF laser range finder
From: blackstag blackstag at gmail.com
Date: Mon Mar 24 19:15:50 CDT 2014

Class 1

Very low power lasers or encapsulated lasers

Safe

MPEs are not exceeded, even for long exposure duration (either 100 seconds
or 30000 seconds), even with the use of optical instruments

No hazard area (NOHA)

40 µW for blue

Class 1M

Very low power lasers; either collimated with large beam dia-meter or
highly divergent

Safe for the naked eye, potentially hazardous when optical instruments**
are used

MPEs are not exceeded for the naked eye, even for long exposure durations,
but maybe exceeded with the use of optical instruments**

No hazard area for the naked eye, but hazard area for the use of optical
instruments** (extended NOHA)

Same as Class 1, distinction with measurement requirements

**Note for optical instruments: two classes of optical instruments are
accounted for: such that increase hazard of well collimated beam with large
diameter, i.e. telescopes and binoculars, and such that increase hazard of
highly divergent beams (such as from fibers or LEDs), i.e. eye loupes and
magnifiers. Generally only one of the group of optical instrument for a
given laser product leads to an increase in the hazard. Therefore, at the
discretion of the manufacturer, a specific wording can be added to the
warning label. See sections on optical instruments and warning labels below.