[DPRG] Motor moving to sound

Subject: [DPRG] Motor moving to sound
From: Ron Grant deltagraph at aol.com
Date: Thu May 1 07:25:37 CDT 2014

 Hello David M. / Any Interested.
(I hope this message is not redundant, but I did not see it reflected back to me.)

To Answer/Not Answer your question

"Has anybody had any success repurposing  a Teddy Ruxpin or Furby to get the circuits for the mouth/motor and sound/voice synchronization?"

I hacked Teddy about 25 years ago. My approach was to build a box that contained three knobs that would move teddy's eyes and mouth, but this was done manually.  I was able to record the servo signals on one track of the tape and audio on the other in order to create "Teddy Tapes".

In order to automate the process of talking and having teddy's mouth opening requires another step, that is, translating audio amplitude energy into servo pulse width. I suspect the arduino community has addressed that. I have in past made products sold to clients in the animatronic puppet world that perform that function.

Hope that answers your question. Put another way, as I see it there is not a direct way to hack into teddy to make him talk. Like "cut this wire and feed your audio signal in here".

Here is my TEDdy talk on making a teddy programmer along with some demo video from 25 years ago for a coronary bypass I was going to perform on Ted under his direction. If you want to see just that bit skip into the video about 4 minutes -- I have an actual dialog with my Teddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUhNvSLdyqI

Ron