[DPRG] can can clarifications

Subject: [DPRG] can can clarifications
From: paradug paradug at gmail.com
Date: Thu May 1 21:58:46 CDT 2014

Karim,
     Here are some clarifications on the questions that you asked. Let me
know
if these adequately answer the questions raised. If these clarifications
look
good, I will copy them over to dprgblog.wordpress.com.
Regards,
Doug P.

Q:  Are the cans placed in the same locations for all rounds of the
competition?
A:  The cans are located in the same locations for all rounds of a tier of
the
      tournament. The judge may or may not change the can locations between
      tiers of the tournament.

Q:  Are the locations of the cans symmetrical between the halves of the
arena?
A:  Yes, the cans will be placed in a symmetrical manner within a tolerance
of ~4".
     The judge can decide to mirror the left to right placement of the cans
     between the two halves of the arena.

Q:  How will the starting locations of the cans be marked on the arena
floor?
A:  Starting locations will be marked on the arena floor with small squares
of
     blue painter masking tape. The tape marks will be no bigger than 3/4" X
3/4".
     If feasible, smaller pieces of tape will be used.

Q: How will the goals be assigned to competitors for a round?
A:  Before the round, each competitor will pull either a small numbered
token
     or a US quarter from a box. The competitor who choses the token with
the
     lowest number or the quarter with the oldest date can chose their goal.
     The goal that they chose will be the goal that their robot starts from.
     They  will score points by having cans pass the remaining goal
(opponent's goal).
     All cans will be placed on the arena floor before goal selection
occurs.

Q:  Will the goals be switched during the contest to remove bias from any
      lighting variance?
A:   No. However the arena will be set in the best location available to
minimize
      lighting differences. Last year, the arena was setup away from the
windows
      and by a low wall. Lighting differences were not that uneven. This
area is
      not visible in the photo shown in the rules document. View the
      video from last year on DPRG's YouTube channel to see the differences
      that most likely exist.