[DPRG] can can clarifications

Subject: [DPRG] can can clarifications
From: Karim Virani karim at bigthought.org
Date: Fri May 2 12:39:37 CDT 2014

Actually, my team is Iron Reign - by habit I only included the student names - but I'm actively helping them on this one. I should probably put my name in there too.  Also, we have 2 entries in there and one of them is just for fun - we don't plan to enter it in the rounds even though it could have a decent chance of winning.

Separately, though, 10 minutes is a very long time from a spectator's point of view. Even from my point of view.  Even when my robot is on the field.

In FTC, each match is 2.5 minutes long and that seems just about right.  That includes a 30 second autonomous period followed by a 2 minute driver controlled period.  So FTC matches obviously benefit from a more active and efficient gameplay than can can does. So they can get the job done in 2.5 minutes.  Note that they could all score more points if the matches were longer - but it would have little effect on which robots move on.

I don't recall the rationale by which the length of the match was extended.  I think it's doubled over last years duration.  It's probably too late for a substantive change to the rules now - we should be embargoed on major changes.

But I would still ask a question of those competing:  Based on how your robot is doing now - Do you think the period between 5 minutes and 10 minutes is vital to fairly distinguish whether your robot is more competent at can can soccer than your likely opponents? My answer is no.

Even with an embargo, I think there is an opportunity to clarify the rules a bit.  I think we should encourage both teams to call the match short if they both agree it seems like no more progress is being made.  A team hoping to catch up would still be able to go the full 10 minutes. But maybe an automatic 5 minute cut off if the score is 0-0 at that time?