[DPRG] neural nets fundamental flaw

Subject: [DPRG] neural nets fundamental flaw
From: David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Date: Tue May 27 17:06:00 CDT 2014

ED and Doug,

Good points.  As I said, lots still to know.

I think the larger point is that the anticipated success of neural nets
has always be predicated on the idea that this is how nature, i.e., we
and the birds and the bees, do it;  that neural nets are a model of real
brains.  "Neural."  It's right there in the name.

This study suggests that assumption may not be correct.  The human
clearly recognizes the two images of the car, or the cat, as "the same,"
even indistinguishable, without multiple images or perspectives, while
the neural net does not even recognize the car as an automobile, much
less the same image of the same automobile.  Clearly something is
different in the way the neural net interprets the image and the way we do.

cheers!
dpa