[DPRG] Never going to buy a MakerBot now

Subject: [DPRG] Never going to buy a MakerBot now
From: Robert Graham rgraham at gmail.com
Date: Wed May 28 13:22:32 CDT 2014

First to file only changes who can owns the patent when a question of who
the original inventor comes up.  It was changed to bring the U.S. system
into alignment with Europe, where first to file had been the norm for a
while.

Patents are still examined in view of prior art, and publication of a piece
of prior art has the same effect as before.

An interesting note - Makerbot was spawned from the RepRap machine, and was
originally open source everything, including hardware.  They took it closed
source once they started selling machines more commercially.  The RepRap
guys were the ones who started the NYC resistor Markerspace out in
Brooklyn.  They took memberships (very limited, if you weren't at the first
meeting, you couldn't become a full member) and gave (paid) classes, and I
think they used that to fund the actual space and did a lot of the original
RepRap work in that space.

Bre Pettis was the frontman, and Zack Smith did a lot of the hardware and
software.  I think Zack left when it turned into Makerbot and they started
taking it closed source, and Bre's the one who's been on the over of Wired
and does all the interviews.

Makerbot originally got funding for $50MM and opened a storefront in
Manhattan, and I believe the deal with Stratsys is valued around $400MM.