[DPRG] Never going to buy a MakerBot now

Subject: [DPRG] Never going to buy a MakerBot now
From: John Mellesmoen melle008 at gmail.com
Date: Wed May 28 16:32:47 CDT 2014

If I invent something then go on the local news and tell the world about
it, that is public disclosure and from that point forward I have a year to
file.  Someone else could then try and patent it because they saw me on the
news with my invention but that news footage counts as prior art which
would invalidate their claim.    I could have filed a provisional, then
gone on the news (public disclosure) and from the date of the provisional
application I have one year to file a formal utility application.
Provisional applications are there to formalize the claim date and validate
that I invented and filed for it first.   Any form of public disclosure
without protection is just asking for lots of trouble.

Here is the thing, just because the patent examiner granted them a patent,
doesn't mean that it can't be invalidated by finding prior art.  You or I
or anyone can challenge their patent and have it dismissed if we have proof
of the work being out in the world prior to their filing date.

A patent examiner will never find all of the prior art out there.  They may
know the space really really well but they may still miss the bit that
invalidates the whole thing.    My challenge to you is to rally the
community into finding the prior art that invalidates their patent and then
get their patent dismissed.