[DPRG] More jBot cone progress

Subject: [DPRG] More jBot cone progress
From: David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Date: Mon Oct 6 00:26:44 CDT 2014

Thanks Steve,

Camera looks straight ahead.  I tried scanning left and right but found
it was just as likely as not to look away at an inopportune time, didn't
really help.  Looking outward from the spiral might be an improvement
--- I'll try that.

The robot spirals outward until the radius exceeds about 30 feet. Then
it navigates back to the way point and starts the spiral again, but this
time counter-clockwise.  If the second scan exceeds 30 feet, it gives up
and marks the cone as found.  For the last waypoint in the list, it just
repeats that pattern forever, clock-wise and counter-clockwise, with
larger and larger maximum radii.

In the direct sun the camera seems to be able to see the cone at about
15 feet, in the shade about half that.

jBot says he won't go back to NASA.  No cones (and, as Rud observes, no
magnetic north!) on the moon, and Mars is RED in every direction...

dpa