[DPRG] LiDAR-Lite 360 degree continuously rotating mount

Subject: [DPRG] LiDAR-Lite 360 degree continuously rotating mount
From: David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Date: Mon Feb 2 09:44:53 CST 2015

Cool.

<rant>

In all my other hobbies, except robotics, when someone has a new
innovation, they show their craft (heli, sailboat, whatever) doing
something really cool, and then explain the technology that makes it
possible.   That's why I might be interested in the technology, because
it allows the platform to do something interesting that can't be done
any other way.

But that is never the case with hobby robotics.  Instead, the technology
is demonstrated as if it is an end in itself, with the hope that someone
will eventually do something cool with it.  Just once, I'd like to go to
a link like that posted below by Doug, and see a video of a robot DOING
SOMETHING interesting, followed by a description of the technology
required to do that interesting thing.

(As an aside, this same thing seems to apply in spades to all the
hobbiest ROS robots I've come across.  Surely there are some HOBBY
robots running ROS somewhere out there DOING SOMETHING  interesting that
makes all the pain of getting ROS to work worthwhile.   If so they seem
to be keeping pretty quiet about  it.   Where are all the videos?)

</rant>

OK, I'm done, move along, nothing to see here...

dpa