[DPRG] LiDAR-Lite 360 degree continuously rotating mount

Subject: [DPRG] LiDAR-Lite 360 degree continuously rotating mount
From: David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Date: Mon Feb 2 19:36:06 CST 2015

Doug,

My own experience is that until a sensor is mounted on a robot and
tasked with doing something, you really don't know if it works or not,
other than in a purely technical sense.  Once it goes into use, lots of
changes in design and application are then usually required to make it
functional and practical.   Only then, again in my experience, does
something useful begin to emerge.

Look at our own DPRG projects web page, for example. A number of years
ago Earl came up with a nice little board to build his own custom IMU
for a balancing robot.  Looks really good on paper. Nice DPRG project
with an excellent web page.

Only problem is, he never was actually able to get a robot to balance
using it.   Though there is no mention of that in the article.  Like so
many similar robot technology web pages. Software problems?  Sensor
problems?  Who will ever know?

In my own case, a number of years ago I spent considerable amount of
time and energy designing a bumper to detect collisions for my two-wheel
balancing robot.  It's not a simple problem, because of the way the
robot moves, but I came up with what seemed to me to be a usable and
practical solution.

However... as progress proceeded on the balancer, it slowly became
apparent that a two-wheel balancing robot doesn't need a bumper. Because
of the physics involved in dynamic balance locomotion, the robot can
sense collisions from the geometry of the platform itself.  No bumper
needed.   That's a fairly major "change in design and application" of
the sensor that I could not have anticipated when working on the bumper.

Hence my skepticism.

So, what are you planning to do with sensor detections out to 40
meters?   Is that really useful?   Similarly, is 360 degrees really
required?  For example, we humans have eyes in the front but not the
back --- seems to work fine.    Until the device is actually evaluated
in situ, those are all likely to remain unknowns.

regards,
dpa