[DPRG] March meeting tutorial - how to get started with ROS

Subject: [DPRG] March meeting tutorial - how to get started with ROS
From: Paradug paradug at gmail.com
Date: Mon Feb 9 15:13:06 CST 2015

David,
      Maybe Paul or Jason will bring Turtlebot to the March meeting.

      If you look at DPRG video  http://youtu.be/qkshrmF_j_E , between 1:29 and 1.50 you can see Jason’s ROS controlled Turtlebot running the table on a Six Can demo at Roborama2014a. Sure this demo could be done in other ways (i.e., see our last competition in December), however this is an example of a ROS based robot solving the problem. If I remember right, Jason was using localization and mapping based on a ROS implementation of SLAM to collect the cans.

     I would love to see a Turtlebot or another ROS based robot in the CanCan Soccer at Roborama2015a. We might have to adjust the weight limit. I believe Jason’s robot was pretty heavy since it was carrying a laptop.

     Paul, I have a question. Is the new Rpi 2 or the BBB rev B powerful enough to replace the laptop typically used by ROS?

Regards,
Doug P.