[DPRG] LiDAR-Lite 360 degree continuously rotating mount

Subject: [DPRG] LiDAR-Lite 360 degree continuously rotating mount
From: David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Date: Sun Feb 15 19:38:38 CST 2015

Thanks Paul,

Just trying to get a feel for how this might be used.   16cm at 40m
means 4cm, about 1 and 3/4 inch, at 10 meters.  So, unless the scans are
jittered vertically,  nothing above or below a 1 and 3/4" strip would be
detected at 10 meters, which is still 30 feet away from the robot.

That might work well for walls or fences or tree trunks, but would miss
many (most?) real-world outdoor obstacles that are higher or lower than
a strip a couple of inches wide at 30 feet.   Curbs, for example, or low
hanging branches.  The legs of a picnic bench, but not the bench
itself.   Chains of a swing set, but not the swing. And so on.

And that little strip then becomes even more narrow as the range closes,
i.e., close to the robot, when you need it the most.  At 2.5 meters,
(we're about to collide!) that strip is 1cm, about 1/2 inch, and nothing
above or below that will be detected.   Not that useful outdoors, in my
experience, unless your robot happens to be, you know,  an inch and 3/4
tall.  Otherwise, obstacles that might be detected at 10 meters simply
disappear as the robot gets closer. Not a strategy for success.

So maybe you need to have a fancier rotating mount, one that can pivot
vertically to give a denser data set than just a thin strip of the
environment at some arbitrary height.   But that would increase the
sample time for a complete scan and correspondingly increase the
response time of the robot.

If it were operating in a typical artificial indoor robot environment
(flat orthogonal walls, "objects" that are simple cubes and cylinders
sitting directly on the floor, etc,) it would probably work fine.
Outdoors-real-world, I'd have a lot of questions.

I'm not sure what you can trust from such a tiny, thin-slice sample of
the environment.    How are you planning on using this data?

best regards,
dpa