[DPRG] LiDAR-Lite 360 degree continuously rotating mount

Subject: [DPRG] LiDAR-Lite 360 degree continuously rotating mount
From: Paul Bouchier bouchier at classicnet.net
Date: Sun Feb 15 20:06:42 CST 2015

Hi David,

All good points, but the intended application is localization, not
obstacle avoidance (though it may provide a partial solution to that. An
outdoor mowing robot is most in need of accurate localization. Decent
obstacle avoidance, particularly of things the robot might run over and
chew up, are also important. The mower has a bumper strip, but that
wouldn't stop it getting stuck under benches, as John Swindle noted in
his excellent roomba/neato/mint analysis. I think the mower has
roomba-style downward-looking cliff detectors. Any decent solution needs
multiple defenses, but without good localization there's little point in
working on the "easier" problems because you can't get to a working
solution. Tackle the show-stopper problems first. The robotics world is
missing good and inexpensive localization solutions. GPS is a partial
solution but it will lie to your face and tell you you're somewhere
else, with high confidence, and make the mower mow down the flower-bed,
confident that it's on lawn.

ROS has a particle filter localization module which localizes based on
(lidar) ranges from objects in a previously mapped space. I think a
high-speed long-range lidar may have application as a sensor to feed
that algorithm.

Regards

Paul