[DPRG] Sparkfun AVC 2015 Contest Rules Announced, Resend with Additional Details

Subject: [DPRG] Sparkfun AVC 2015 Contest Rules Announced, Resend with Additional Details
From: Dick Swan dickswan at sbcglobal.net
Date: Wed Feb 18 19:13:13 CST 2015

Resending because I missed a few details in my initial email that was
prematurely sent.

The rules for the 2015 Sparkfun Autonomous Vehicle Contest are now posted on
their web site. https://avc.sparkfun.com/. New for this year is a shortcut
option (on the ground course) that's halves the distance to travel. Besides
shortening the distance to travel there's a substantial bonus for taking the
shortcut. The shortcut has an obstacle on it which has not been defined yet.

There's also a 1-lb and 3-lb fighting robot competition. I initially thought
they were simply standardizing on the SPARC (i.e the Combat Robot
Competition Organization) "Antweight" class for smaller ground robots for
the racing competition. But now realize that there is a separate fighting
competition. This became clear when I went to register a robot and first
question is whether you're entering a 'racing' or 'fighting' robot.

The pre-announcement in December indicated that there would be an aerial
competition but on a reduced scale in a cage enclosed by netting or
Plexiglas. However, I saw no mention of an aerial competition in the rules.