[DPRG] Prep slides for the ROS talk in 2 weeks

Subject: [DPRG] Prep slides for the ROS talk in 2 weeks
From: Paul Bouchier paul.bouchier at gmail.com
Date: Sun Mar 1 10:00:09 CST 2015

DPRG folks,

I will be giving a "Gentle Introduction to ROS" talk on Sat March 14. If
you're interested in trying ROS, I recommend you use the attached slides to
try to install it BEFORE the talk. If you get stuck, we can look at it live
on the 14th, but you won't have time to do it all on the day of. Slide 1 is
a teaser for the topics we'll cover, and slides 2 - 6 are instructions you
should follow for installing ROS in a Virtual Machine.

Installing ROS is more involved than installing an operating system (which
usually either goes well or poorly) - installing ROS requires intallling an
OS. Allow sufficient time - it will take you at least a couple of hours
without problems.

The premise we'll work from is that you currently run Windoze or MacOS on a
laptop and you want to try ROS. ROS only runs on Ubuntu Linux, and I assume
you don't want to change your primary OS. The solution is to install Ubuntu
Linux and ROS in a Virtual Machine and run the VM under your primary OS.
VirtualBox is the recommended VM; you install Ubuntu Linux in it, then ROS
on Linux. This is a low-investment approach - you can blow away the VM if
you decide you aren't interested, and you won't be left with a bunch of
stuff installed on your system.

If you do have a laptop to dedicate to ROS, ignore the VM instructions but
the rest should be good.

I recommend (if you're serious) downloading the e-book "A Gentle
Introduction to ROS" by Jason O'Kane, which is linked in the presentation,
and familiarizing yourself with its content. It will be our guide. You will
get out of this talk as much as you put in.

If you run into problems installing, reply-all to this email - others may
be having the same issues.

This talk is all software. I will assume some competence in programming in
C, but we won't go heavy into C++. There are plenty of online resources for
that and for Linux.

Regards

Paul